Friday 9 August 2019

Work Experience at the Multilingual Library

From the 8th-12th July, I had the pleasure of gaining work experience at The Kittiwake Trust's Multilingual Library at Eldon Gardens in Newcastle.
As a placement, I was given tasks such as shelving, labelling and cataloguing, as well as having permission to create a map for the library.
I found the whole week extremely rewarding, and the staff were excellent - welcoming, patient, helpful and just people that I really got along with and feel privileged to have met.





I'm currently in sixth form studying Spanish, English Literature and English Language. I love words and languages, and just being around books, and I felt the Multilingual Library could really allow me to demonstrate this, and sure enough, it did. I would love to go back as a volunteer in the future - in fact, I would feel honoured to be part of such a dedicated, brilliant group of people, who run the library of their own accord and their passion for languages and books.

I felt so at ease in the library, with its beautiful layout and relaxing atmosphere. It was a week of culture and learning for me, and I am incredibly grateful that I had the opportunity to be there for my work experience. I would encourage everyone who has a love for languages, culture, travelling and linguistics to take out a membership at the library and meet the amazing staff, and take in the setting that the team have poured their heart and soul into making perfect. I became a member while I was there, and I intend to go back as soon as possible. I hope that many others who come across this hidden gem of Eldon Garden do the same.

Hannah Drinkwater, A-Level Student

No comments: